Semantic actions in LR parser

cosc19py@jane.uh.edu (93S07005)
Fri, 2 Apr 1993 02:45:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Semantic actions in LR parser cosc19py@jane.uh.edu (1993-04-02)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser roy@prism.gatech.edu (1993-04-02)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser karsten@tfl.dk (1993-04-03)
Semantic Actions and LR(k) pwp@cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) (1993-04-05)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser mauney@csljon.csl.ncsu.edu (1993-04-05)
Semantic actions in LR parser clark@zk3.dec.com (1993-04-06)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser wand@ccs.northeastern.edu (1993-04-07)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cosc19py@jane.uh.edu (93S07005)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 02:45:00 GMT

Hi,

I am just wondering if we have to put all semantic actions on the tail
parts of some productions for LR grammar instead of any positions in LL
grammar?

e.g. A -> b B c d C D e {semantic action}

Are there some kind LR parsers exists without this restriction? In yacc,
it allows no restriction but transforms those productions into many pseudo
productions which seems unnatural. In addition to this approach, Are there
any parsers can achieve it?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sue
[I can't see how an LR parser can execute the action until the entire
RHS has been read, since before that it doesn't know what rule it's going
to recognize. -John]