Typical Program Characteristics?

Max Copperman <max@cse.ucsc.edu>
Wed, 31 Mar 1993 19:54:21 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Typical Program Characteristics? max@cse.ucsc.edu (Max Copperman) (1993-03-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Max Copperman <max@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 19:54:21 GMT

I am doing research on debugging optimized code. The running time of my
algorithms depends on certain program characteristics:

        - the number of basic blocks in a routine

        - the number of predecessors and successors per block

        - the number of assignments to a variable within a routine,
including assignments through pointers that might
point to that variable

        - the number of paths to a block

        - the number of variables addressable within a routine

Can anyone point me to papers that have measured any of these things (for
any class of programs)?

Max Copperman
max@cse.ucsc.edu
University of California, Santa Cruz