Effect of pointers etc.

sharma@math.tu-berlin.de (Sharma)
Fri, 26 Mar 1993 09:58:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Effect of pointers etc. sharma@math.tu-berlin.de (1993-03-26)
Re: Effect of pointers etc. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-03-27)
Re: Effect of pointers etc. paco@legia.cs.rice.edu (1993-03-28)
Effect of pointers etc. ssimmons@convex.com (1993-03-29)
Re: Effect of pointers etc. firth@sei.cmu.edu (1993-03-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.parallel
From: sharma@math.tu-berlin.de (Sharma)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1993 09:58:37 GMT

  I am currently doing a part-time job in a Research Institute where I have
to determine whether an algorithm for 3DTV written sequentially in C is
implementable in real time on a parallel system. The final system could
be anything SIMD, Asynchronous, Vector Supercomputer or even dedicated
hardware. My job is to say how many operations are required. For example:
The module search_disparity requires x times 16 bit integer adds and y
times 32 bit floating point divides. The only way to go about it is to
plod my way through a source code listing as thick as a telephone book.

The algorithms contain lots of 2 dimensional arrays (naturally). Now what
is the cost in terms of hardware of macros such as these

#define DISP1(i,j) *(dispar.disp0 + i*MAX_X0 + j)
#define DISP(i,j) *(dispar.displr + i*MAX_X0 + j)
#define DISPold(i,j) *(dispar.disp_old + i*MAX_X0 + j)

Furthermore I would be thankful if anyone has any suggestions whatsoever
as to how to proceed with this mammoth task.
Thanks
Rohit Sharma
sharma@math.tu-berlin.de
[These macros are basically providing two-dimensional addressing in a clumsy
way probably because the person who wrote the code didn't know how to write
the declarations he wanted. But that doesn't help much with counting the
work involved. -John]