Reg. expr. character class compression

dmr@research.att.com (Dennis Ritchie)
Sun, 21 Mar 1993 06:19:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
regular expression search algorithm forsyth@minster.york.ac.uk (1993-03-18)
Reg. expr. character class compression cohenw@ecn.purdue.edu (1993-03-18)
Reg. expr. character class compression dmr@research.att.com (1993-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dmr@research.att.com (Dennis Ritchie)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1993 06:19:52 GMT

Keep in mind that during the next few years the potential size of the
character set and hence of a character class is likely to increase from
about 256 to about 65536. Converting the Plan 9 regular expression stuff
to Unicode wasn't trivial. (But I didn't do the work and don't know what
techniques were used.)

Another note: the regular expression algorithm described by Thompson was
patented; the patent must have issued around 1973. AT&T never prosecuted
it, and it has probably expired; I mention it as a curiosity, and as an
illustration that software patents are not especially new.

Dennis Ritchie