Re: Looking for languages that compile to C

munk@prl.philips.nl
Fri, 19 Feb 1993 09:04:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for languages that compile to C ross@spam.maths.adelaide.edu.au (1993-02-15)
Re: Looking for languages that compile to C moss@cs.cmu.edu (1993-02-18)
Re: Looking for languages that compile to C munk@prl.philips.nl (1993-02-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: munk@prl.philips.nl
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 09:04:55 GMT

I think the original question is a strange one. It's not the language that
compiles to C, it's the compiler.

We have developed a compiler generator toolset (Elegant) that used to
compile to Modula-2 but has been rewritten to compile to (K&R) C. (ANSI-C
is our next target.)

Why C?. Because C is what its adversaries always claim: a high level
assembler. And that's how Elegant uses it: to produce compact, highly
efficient and almost unreadable code. But with one great advantage: you
can get execuatbles on almost any platform. The platform only has to
support C.

Elegant is a bootstrapped compiler generator: it's written in Elegant. At
the moment, we have versions for several flavours of Unix (SunOS 3 and 4,
Apollo Domain, Ultrix), VAX/VMS and MS-DOS. The only things that had to be
changed for each of these platforms are a handfull of library routines
written directly in C. After that, its just one comand and a weekend of
processing later we have a new version for each of those platforms (even
the MS-DOS version is generated automatically on a PC-NFS connected PC).

If you want more information on Elegant, you are referred to

The Elegant Compiler Generator System
Lex Augusteijn
(page 238-54)

in

Attribute Grammars and Their Applications
P.Deransart, M. Jourdan (Eds)
Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science 461

Reagrds,
Harm