Re: Natural Language Parser Wanted

johnm@cory.berkeley.edu (John D. Mitchell)
Fri, 19 Feb 1993 00:50:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Natural Language Parser Wanted kit@philabs.philips.com (1993-02-18)
Re: Natural Language Parser Wanted johnm@cory.berkeley.edu (1993-02-19)
Re: Natural Language Parser Wanted peter.ludemann@quintus.com (Peter Ludemann) (1993-03-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.sources.wanted
From: johnm@cory.berkeley.edu (John D. Mitchell)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 00:50:47 GMT

kit@philabs.philips.com (Karen Trovato) writes:
>I am looking to buy or license yacc source for an english language parser
>for development in a product. Perfection is not required.
[...]
>[It is my impression that people gave up trying to parse natural language
>using context-free methods in about 1966. One of the examples...]

Yep. Natural language parsing/understanding/etc. has been a major branch
of the AI universe for a long time. You should go over to comp.ai.nlang
(or something like that).

My understanding of the latest developments is that you can get actually
reasonably good understanding but only over limited knowledge domains.

Hope this helps,
John
johnm@cory.Berkeley.EDU