Info on Unix based interactive profilers

sriram@tcs.com (Sriram Srinivasah)
Fri, 12 Feb 1993 01:50:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Info on Unix based interactive profilers sriram@tcs.com (1993-02-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: sriram@tcs.com (Sriram Srinivasah)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1993 01:50:57 GMT

I posted this on comp.unix.wizards but got no response.

For some time I have toyed with the idea of writing an interactive
profiler for Unix. That is, instead of running gprof after the program has
finished running, I'd like to set breakpoints and analyze hotspots
interactively.

1. Does such a beast exist already ?

2. If not, why not? Am I missing something that makes it technically
      infeasible on Unix ?

3. Can you point out some references on profilers, and if possible, those
      that specifically talk about Unix?

Thanx a lot.

Sriram
(sriram@tcs.com)