Re: Compiler construction in C++ and OOD

cliffc@rice.edu (Cliff Click)
Thu, 4 Feb 1993 18:49:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler construction in C++ and OOD vivek@sequent.com (1993-02-03)
Re: Compiler construction in C++ and OOD cliffc@rice.edu (1993-02-04)
Re: Compiler construction... tj00+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Jonker) (1993-02-05)
Re: Compiler construction in C++ and OOD vaillant@fermina.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (1993-02-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cliffc@rice.edu (Cliff Click)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1993 18:49:10 GMT

vivek@sequent.com (Vivek Buzruk) writes:

> Till now I thought a compiler is not a good application for O-O design.

> I will be happy if any one tells whether any complete compiler is written
> in C++ either. Also in what way C++ is used, only as a better C or flavor
> of OOD.

My research compiler is written entirely in C++ (except for the front-end
parsing stuff). I find the O-O issues immensely helpful. I have class
definitions for all the interesting internal data structures: hash tables,
symbol tables, instructions, etc. The complexity control C++ gives me is
a BIG win.

Of course, I'm in the minority here at Rice. Most of the previous work
has been done in C. A newer project (1 yr old or so) has been started in
C, but with design decisions that strongly mirror O-O design.

> Obviously one can not go away from traditional phase structured design
> to define the functionality of a compiler.

Hummm... I would disagree with this statement - and don't see what it has
to do with O-O design of a compiler.

Cliff Click cliffc@cs.rice.edu