Re: GCC + Garbage Collect code = new GCC?

moss@cs.cmu.edu (Eliot Moss)
Wed, 3 Feb 1993 16:06:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC as back-end summary davids@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (1993-01-29)
GCC + Garbage Collect code = new GCC? Whitten@Fwva.Saic.Com (1993-02-02)
Re: GCC + Garbage Collect code = new GCC? moss@cs.cmu.edu (1993-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.cmu.edu (Eliot Moss)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1993 16:06:31 GMT

On 2 Feb 93 18:08:32 GMT, Whitten@Fwva.Saic.Com (David Whitten) said:
> It sounds like someone has done a lot of work to analyze GCC for garbage
> collection of intermediates, etc. ... Does anyone know if the GC code will
> be folded into the 'official' GCC release? It would make GCC a more
> palatable vehicle as a back end if it were doing so...

We have done work on gcc to add support for *run-time* garbage collection,
i.e., finding pointers and pointer-related quantities in registers and the
stack. I am not aware of garbage colleciton in the compiler *itself*.
--

J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science School of Computer Science