Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code

ken@eies2.njit.edu (Kenneth Ng)
Sat, 16 Jan 1993 16:42:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code nickh@CS.CMU.EDU (1993-01-13)
Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (1993-01-13)
Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code bart@cs.uoregon.edu (1993-01-14)
Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code rv@erix.ericsson.se (1993-01-14)
Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code smk@dcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (1993-01-14)
Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1993-01-15)
Re: Compile Time vs. Run Time, Mixed Language Compiling, Fat Code ken@eies2.njit.edu (1993-01-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ken@eies2.njit.edu (Kenneth Ng)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1993 16:42:42 GMT

drw@euclid.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) writes:
:I've been told by a programmer who's worked extensively in both C and Ada
:that this is not true -- in Ada, once the program compiles, there are very
:few bugs in it. Ada was designed with the intention of turning what would
:be run-time bugs in C into compile-time bugs, and it appears that it has
:succeeded to a large extent.

I myself have noticed the same thing when I program in Pascal. Now, I use
C at the places where I have worked the past 7 years, and hardly use
Pascal at all except at home occassionally. But I've noticed that
generally when I get the syntax errors out, the program often runs within
a few tries. This I can not say about an equivalent non trival C program.
Over the years I have noticed that as I restrict myself to a pascal like
subset of C, I do tend to make fewer and fewer logic errors. I have also
noticed similar ease of programming with the REXX language. Ada I hope to
take a crack at next year, so I'll see what things are like over there.
--
Kenneth Ng