Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages?

tobbe@erix.ericsson.se (Torbj|rn T|rnkvist)
Tue, 12 Jan 1993 14:11:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Practicality of functional and logic languages? benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs (Mirek Benes) (1993-01-11)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? tobbe@erix.ericsson.se (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? torbenm@diku.dk (1993-01-13)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? hdev@dutiai.twi.tudelft.nl (1993-01-13)
Practicality of functional and logic languages? lock@karlsruhe.gmd.de (1993-01-14)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? nickh@CS.CMU.EDU (1993-01-14)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? joe@erix.ericsson.se (1993-01-14)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tobbe@erix.ericsson.se (Torbj|rn T|rnkvist)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1993 14:11:58 GMT

Mirek Benes <benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs> writes:
> I would like to know some opinions concerning functional and logic
> programming languages (Haskell, Miranda, ML / Prolog) and their practical
> usability for programming:
>
> [How useful are they for practical work?]

The functional, real-time language: Erlang, developed at the Ellemtel
Computer Science Lab has been used, among other things, for implementing
telephony applications. For more information read these two papers that
were presented at ISS-92 in Yokohama:

1. 'A Switching Software Architecture Prototype Using
      Real Time Declarative Language', M.Persson,K.Oedling,D.Eriksson

2. 'Prototyping Cordless Using Declarative Programming',
      A.Danne,John-Olof Bauner

|> * Are there any (comercially?) successful applications ...

Erlang will be used in commercial applications.

|> * How effective these applications are comparing with applications
|> written in classic procedural languages like Pascal?

It is impossible to give any general figures, it differs to much between
different applications. The interesting question is: Is it enough for the
application in question ? . For Telephony, the capacity of Erlang of today
is enough.

|> I want to start courses of these programming styles at the university,
|> so any opinions on the subject will clear up my situation.

It should be possible to receive an Erlang- acedemic/research license
for free (send a mail to erlang@erix.ericsson.se if you are interested).
--
/Tobbe (tobbe@erix.ericsson.se)