Re: G++, GNU LInker and others

bothner@xenon.stanford.edu (Per M. Bothner)
Sat, 28 Nov 1992 23:06:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
G++, GNU LInker and others galileu@zeus.funceme.br (1992-11-26)
Re: G++, GNU LInker and others bothner@xenon.stanford.edu (1992-11-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bothner@xenon.stanford.edu (Per M. Bothner)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1992 23:06:12 GMT

galileu@zeus.funceme.br (Galileu) writes:
> perhaps because we don't have GNU Linker; how to get it?

GNU ld is part of the binutils distributions (binutils-2.0.tar.Z).
However, you should not need GNU ld; you can use 'collect' instead.
Collect is part of the gcc distribution, and I believe it is used by
default. (This does not apply if you're running Solaris2, which uses a
different mechanism. There might well be bugs in that. GNU ld will not
work under Solaris2.)
[The G++ FAQ says that the SVR4 linker, which Solaris 2 uses, can handle
G++ objects without needing collect. -John]