GNU CC port to the Motorola 88000

creedonn@ul.ie
Fri, 27 Nov 1992 02:29:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GNU CC port to the Motorola 88000 creedonn@ul.ie (1992-11-27)
GNU CC port to the Motorola 88000 meissner@osf.org (1992-11-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: gnu.gcc.help,comp.compilers
From: creedonn@ul.ie
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1992 02:29:01 GMT

Just how *good* is the code generator/optimiser in GCC?

I'm doing a 1 year Master's course in the University of Limerick, Ireland,
and my project is to port GCC to the Motorola 88100 RISC processor.
However, I now see that it has already been done, and from what I can
gather by reading the documentation, it has been done quite well.

My questions are then:

Can I (not knowing very much about compilers now) reasonably expect to
improve on what's there already within the 9 months before I finish this
course?

Where can I find more detailed documentation on the port to the m88k? (
And how much will it cost for that documentation? )

How much rewriting/fine-tuning of the whole compiler (not just the code-
generator/optimiser) would be necessary?

Any help or information would be much appreciated.
Yours,
Niall Creedon.
[Didn't Michael Meissner do that port? Perhaps he can comment. -John]