Re: Is this a new idea?

clyde@hitech.com.au (Clyde Smith-Stubbs)
Wed, 18 Nov 1992 23:48:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is this a new idea? macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-12)
Re: Is this a new idea? thinkage!dat@math.uwaterloo.ca (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? andrewb@lynx.cs.washington.edu (1992-11-16)
Re: Is this a new idea? drw@euclid.mit.edu (1992-11-16)
Re: Is this a new idea? firth@sei.cmu.edu (1992-11-17)
Re: Is this a new idea? clyde@hitech.com.au (1992-11-18)
Re: Is this a new idea? macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: clyde@hitech.com.au (Clyde Smith-Stubbs)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1992 23:48:44 GMT

I seem to have missed the first response:

macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) writes:
> This is a C-specific problem: a bug in the design of C's syntax. Most
> other languages don't commit such foolishness, except of course those
> with extensible syntax.

True.

drw@euclid.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) writes:
>Almost any language with an extensible set of operators is going to
>run into this problem.

I thought that's what he said? However, the solution is now clear. We
should all immediately abandon C and any languages with extensible syntax,
and perform an appropriate penance for having used such ideologically
unsound tools. A month of COBOL programming sounds appropriate.

And of course by switching to a non-extensible language we will
immediately get the benefit of instant compilation. I'm talking about
BASIC of course.

More seriously, the typedef problem in C does cause parsing difficulties,
but C is here to stay. Rather than pointing fingers at its design, it
would be better to look for ways of solving the problem at hand (which was
speeding up re-compilations).
--
  Clyde Smith-Stubbs | HI-TECH Software, | Voice: +61 7 300 5011
  clyde@hitech.com.au | P.O. Box 103, Alderley, | Fax: +61 7 300 5246