Re: Code optimization questions

preston@miranda.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Wed, 11 Nov 1992 16:53:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code optimization questions cse264ce@cs.ucsd.edu (1992-11-04)
Re: Code optimization questions preston@miranda.cs.rice.edu (1992-11-11)
Re: Code optimization questions Jonathan.Bowen@prg.oxford.ac.uk (1992-11-13)
Re: Code Optimization questions sanjay@equalizer.cray.com (1992-11-14)
Re: Code optimization questions jeremy@sw.oz.au (1992-11-16)
Re: Code optimization questions glew@pdx007.intel.com (1992-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@miranda.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1992 16:53:57 GMT

cse264ce@cs.ucsd.edu (What Is) writes:
>[2] Is there any info on optimizers that take advantage of runtime
> assertions? This can help with anti dependencies, but it may have
> other advantages; for instance, if an integer is guaranteed to be
> within a certain range, then some operations on it may be cheaper,

A big assertion that optimizers take advantage of are the type
declarations. After all, choosing an adequate number representation was a
tough problem in the old days for Lisp compilers. They're always glad to
be able to use a short integer rather than some bignum representation.

There's also the various schemes people use to tell their compiler to
vectorize or parallelize a particular loop, regardless of how unsafe it
appears to the compiler.

On the other hand, I don't know of specific papers in the area.

BTW, the plural of "dependence" is "dependences".

>[3] If statement A has a def-use chain to statement B, does it follow
> that statement B has a use-def chain to statement A?

Yes.

Preston Briggs