Re: multiplication by constant - quick comparison of algorithms

bgb@iexist.att.com (Brian G Beuning)
Sun, 25 Oct 1992 17:41:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
multiplication by constant - quick comparison of algorithms wu@sequent.com (Youfeng Wu) (1992-10-21)
Re: multiplication by constant - quick comparison of algorithms preston@helena.cs.rice.edu (1992-10-21)
Re: multiplication by constant - quick comparison of algorithms bgb@iexist.att.com (1992-10-25)
Re: multiplication by constant - quick comparison of algorithms chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (1992-10-27)
Re: multiplication by constant - quick comparison of algorithms joe@babel.ho.att.com (1992-10-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bgb@iexist.att.com (Brian G Beuning)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1992 17:41:42 GMT

wu@sequent.com (Youfeng Wu):
> For all numbers in [2, 10000], there is a total number of 64612 one's in
> their binary represenations, and the following compares the total number
> of add/sub/shift instructions used to perform all of the multiplications

Isn't it a little dangerous to use sub? Won't it overflow sometimes when
the multiply would not.

I thought I would mention that this topic is covered in Knuth Volume 2,
section 4.6.3. There he is talking about reducing multiplications in
exponentiation but the techniques should also apply to reducing additions
in multiplication.

Brian Beuning