ANSI C Compiler, Debugger, X testing for Interactive UNIX 3.0?

cs__sjh@selway.umt.edu
Tue, 13 Oct 1992 01:11:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANSI C Compiler, Debugger, X testing for Interactive UNIX 3.0? cs__sjh@selway.umt.edu (1992-10-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.compilers,comp.unix.i386,comp.windows.x
From: cs__sjh@selway.umt.edu
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1992 01:11:50 GMT

Hi, We're developing Motif programs on 386 machines running Interactive
UNIX 3.0 and MetroLink's X11R4 and R5. We have been using the K&R
compiler that was supplied with Interactive UNIX for the past two years.
However, the project is very big and really getting out of hand and we
decided to that we need to convert to ANSI C for better type and error
checking. Does anyone know of any good ANSI C compiler for Interactive
UNIX with a good C debugger that works under Motif/X Windows ? I heard
that Centerline ( formerly Saber ) C is a good product. Do they make one
for Interactive UNIX ?

We also need a good testing program that enables us to write some kind of
script or some kind of event recording program that helps us test our
Motif programs repetitively. I've tried XTrap and it seems to work OK,
but are there better ones available for the X/Motif environment ?

Thanks.

Jeffrey.
[Nearly everyone I know uses GCC and GDB, the latter often through various
spiffy X front ends. You can't beat the price. Centerline is great, but
I haven't seen it for SysV/386. For Motif testing, I'd recommend the
widget-based platform-independent testing tools from Segue Software in
Newton MA (617-969-3771) though since I'm a founder of and major investor
in Segue, I'm hardly unbiased. -John]