What kind of grammar does kermit "DEC style" parser use?

magras@cps.msu.edu
Sat, 22 Aug 1992 01:22:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What kind of grammar does kermit "DEC style" parser use? magras@cps.msu.edu (1992-08-22)
Re: What kind of grammar does kermit "DEC style" parser use? dworkin@merlin.rootgroup.com (Dieter Muller) (1992-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: magras@cps.msu.edu
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1992 01:22:04 GMT

The subject line pretty much says it all. What kind of grammar drives the
so-called "DEC style" parser used by most kermit programs? (e.g. "set
parameter ?", info displayed, then "set parameter" appears on command line
with cursor after it) Grammars used by particular implementation(s) would
be appreciated, suggestions on how to do it with less than 4K to allocate
to it also helpful. In case you haven't guessed, I am using assembly
language, Apple 2/ProDOS/6502 in particular. I have to cut down on the
memory because my Kermit implementation will support full 9024 byte long
packets or windowing with up to 2048 byte (2K) long packets.

Thanks in advance,

J.C. Magras

  magras@cps.msu.edu. | 517 337 2267 | 1736 Burcham Dr., E. Lansing, MI 48823
[A reimplementation of DCL for Unix called VCL that I saw a while ago used
flex and yacc, but the grammar was not surprisingly pretty ugly. I'd
expect Kermit's parsers probably use a hard coded driver running from
hand-written tables. -John]