BASIC to C or C++ migration path

bg@dymaxion.ns.ca
Fri, 7 Aug 1992 13:33:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
BASIC to C or C++ migration path bg@dymaxion.ns.ca (1992-08-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bg@dymaxion.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1992 13:33:00 GMT

I'm looking for a migration path from VAX BASIC to C or C++. Since
hundreds of thousands of lines of code are involved, we would like to find
a translator. We haven't yet found anything satisfactory.

I've checked the comp.compilers archives and find the information there to
be a little out of date. I know of at least two BASIC to C packages which
are not mentioned there. One is made by Software Translations and another
by Gotoless BASIC. The first one is extremely expensive and doesn't quite
match our needs (it is a transpiler not a translator -- we need something
that produces readable, maintainable code). The second is not available on
the VAX, but we're looking into getting it ported over. Unless that pans
out, we're still looking.

Anything helpful would be appreciated. We're a software development
house, so it's not beyond us to write something, although that would be a
last resort. Porting something to the Vax would be even better. Best of
all would be a commercial product which runs on the Vax or could be ported
over to the Vax either by the company which makes it or as a joint effort
with them.
---
Ben Armstrong, Software Development bus: (902)422-1973
Dymaxion Research Ltd., fax: (902)421-1267
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3J 1R2 Internet: bg@dymaxion.ns.ca