Assembly to C converters

Thomas F. Reid <reid@vtopus.cs.vt.edu>
Wed, 15 Jul 1992 19:51:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Assembly to C converters reid@vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Thomas F. Reid) (1992-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Thomas F. Reid <reid@vtopus.cs.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1992 19:51:14 GMT

As repugnant as the topic is, a friend of mine called me about the best
way to take about 40K of IBM 360 assembly code and convert it to
equivalent C to be run on a 486 DOS machine. My first reaction is to use
the assembly as part of the specs and redevelop from scratch, particularly
since the customer wants to the code to have a 10 year plus lifetime.
However, the customer wants automatic code generation explored.

Questions:

1) Anyone know of a 360 ASM to C translator?

2) Are there any 360 emulators which could be used?

Thank you,

Tom Reid
Director, CS Program
Virginia Tech Northern VA Graduate Center
Falls Church, VA (703)698-4712
reid@vtopus.cs.vt edu
[I've seen a nice looking 360 emulator for DOS, but it didn't look like it
could handle very large programs nor did it provide any of the OS support
facilities. I've seen 386 binary to C decompilers, see message 91-04-060,
but they were so low-level that they didn't turn out to be useful. I fear
the days of AUTOCODER to Cobol are gone. -John]