Re: def-use and use-def chain...

lins@Apple.COM (Cheryl Lins)
Mon, 13 Jul 1992 16:54:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
def-use and use-def chain... sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca (V.C. Sreedhar) (1992-07-12)
Re: def-use and use-def chain... preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-07-13)
Re: def-use and use-def chain... lins@Apple.COM (1992-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: lins@Apple.COM (Cheryl Lins)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1992 16:54:48 GMT

V.C. Sreedhar <sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca> writes:
>I am developing some of the dataflow analysis in our compiler.
>Can anyone point to me an efficient way of representing
>for def-use and use-def chain? I am looking space efficient algorithms
>(bit vectors). I need to represent both du and ud chains.

I my PowerPC Oberon compiler, I use SSA form and sparse data flow
techniques. So far I have been very pleased with the results. The
important papers are (from memory)

The Oct 91, Cytron et al paper on "Efficiently Constructing Static Single
Assignment Form and the Control Dependence Graph".

The Apr 91, Wegman and Zadeck paper on "Constant propagation with
conditional branches". There's a mention os so-called SSA edges which
encapsulate the du chains in SSA form.

The SIGPLAN 91 paper (Cytron, Ferrante, and ?) on Sparse Data Flow graphs.
And The SIGPLAN 92 paper (Dhamdere, Rosen, Zadeck) on slotwise analysis.

The various comp.compilers bibliographies have lots more information as
specific references.

--
Cheryl Lins, Apple Computer, Inc. Oberon-2 Paladin lins@apple.com