Re: Optimizing reference count garbage collection

eliot@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Eliot Miranda;W211)
Mon, 6 Jul 1992 18:25:35 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimizing reference count garbage collection paulj@cs.kun.nl (1992-07-02)
Re: Optimizing reference count garbage collection eliot@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (1992-07-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: eliot@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Eliot Miranda;W211)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1992 18:25:35 GMT

paulj@cs.kun.nl writes:
>[How do I reduce the overhead of a reference counting storage manager?]

Deferred Reference Counting, invented by Peter Deutsch & Danny Bobrow.
The idea is not to reference count the stack, which accounts for the vast
majority of references. I use it in my Smalltalk interpreter & get good
performance, good enough to have no incentive to move to generational
garbage collection.