Why some PC C compilers are useless

sjg@zen.void.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty)
Thu, 7 May 1992 11:48:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why some PC C compilers are useless sjg@zen.void.oz.au (1992-05-07)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless cliffc@rice.edu (1992-05-08)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (1992-05-11)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless Zoid@mindlink.bc.ca (1992-05-11)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless bobmon@sandshark.cs.indiana.edu (Bob Montante) (1992-05-12)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (1992-05-13)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless sdm7g@aemsun.med.Virginia.EDU (1992-05-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: sjg@zen.void.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty)
Date: Thu, 7 May 1992 11:48:05 GMT

Consider this a plea to all vendors of C for MS-DOS.

Please do _not_ use "text" mode for reading the source! A C compiler
should not care whether a line of source ends in CR,LF or just a LF.

The reverse is true as well - I recall fixing gcc-1.34 to not get upset by
CR's in the source, fortunately I was able to fix it. But in the binary
only MSDOS world I simply have to chose another compiler!

I bought Borland's Turbo C (v1.5) years ago, and liked it. But I had to
abandon it in favour of Microsoft's compiler because while MSC could
handle CR,LF or just LF, Borland's compiler went berserk - reporting lots
of syntax errors etc.

Currently I'm looking for a PC C++ compiler... a colleague at work had
Borland's C++ (v3.0) so I tried compiling my code with it. Lots of
ridiculous errors! Guess what, convert all the source to CR,LF and all
the errors go away! Splash one.

This is a real pity. In general I like Borland products, their pricing
and the fact that they provide good competition to Microsoft. But, I live
in a UNIX world and do all my development in that environment. Having to
convert all my source to dos text format before being able to compile it
on a PC is just not good enough, and prevents me sharing a single source
tree between UNIX and DOS.

So Borland and any other PC C compiler vendors out there, please heed the
call and fix your compiler's to live in a bigger world.

BTW, I have no connection with either Microsoft or Borland other than as a
user of their compilers.

Perhaps I should do a DOS backend for gcc?
--
Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
[There already is a DOS version of GCC, see the compilers FAQ. -John]