standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ?

martin@CS.UCLA.EDU (david l. martin)
Thu, 30 Apr 1992 22:59:36 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? martin@CS.UCLA.EDU (1992-04-30)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? macrakis@osf.org (1992-05-05)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? martin@CS.UCLA.EDU (1992-05-07)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? sdm@cs.brown.edu (1992-05-08)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? root@grok19.columbiasc.NCR.COM (Dave Howell) (1992-05-11)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (1992-05-13)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? rascal@verdix.com (1992-05-14)

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.compilers
From: martin@CS.UCLA.EDU (david l. martin)
Originator: martin@oahu.cs.ucla.edu
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1992 22:59:36 GMT

Is there a standard or widely accepted definition of an intermediate
representation for ANSI C or for C++? (Or even one that's well
documented, even thought it may not be in wide use.)

By intermediate representation, I mean the sort of information which a
compiler front-end passes to the back-end. Such a definition could
obviously be in use by compiler builders, or could be used to pass
information about programs between tools in an integrated environment.
The best example I know of this is the DIANA standard for Ada.

Any information about this greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- Dave Martin
[There's certainly no widely used standard. The RTL used in GCC is fairly
well documented in the files that come with the distribution. -John]