copying vs. mark-sweep gc's; more gc biblio; funny

David Gadbois <gadbois@MCC.COM>
Thu, 13 Feb 1992 13:58-0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
copying vs. mark-sweep gc's; more gc biblio; funny wilson@cs.utexas.edu (1992-02-10)
Re: copying vs. mark-sweep gc's; more gc biblio; funny boehm@parc.xerox.com (1992-02-12)
copying vs. mark-sweep gc's; more gc biblio; funny gadbois@MCC.COM (David Gadbois) (1992-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: David Gadbois <gadbois@MCC.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1992 13:58-0600

        Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1992 18:15 CST
        From: wilson@cs.utexas.edu (Paul Wilson)

        [...]

        The funny thing is that [Richard Larson] published the paper, titled
        "Minimizing Garbage Collection as a Function of Region Size," and it
        went almost completely unnoticed (I'm apparently the only person
        who's ever cited it)...

        ...and the sole request for a reprint he got was from some guy in
        Urban Planning.

Some time ago, while doing a literature search on garbage collection, I
was quite surprised to find that one of the promising-looking books was
housed in the Architecture Library until I realized that it really was
about GC in the traditional sense.

Just now, I got 12 hits doing a keyword search for "garbage collection"
in the University of Texas' book catalog. Of these, 10 were obviously
about the kind of GC we are concerned with, one was for traditional GC,
and one ("Abstraction, specification and implementation techniques, with
an application to garbage collection") might have gone either way were
it not for its presence in the Math library.

--David Gadbois