How Smart Can We Afford to be?

jjones@uiuc.edu
Mon, 10 Feb 1992 20:32:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How Smart Can We Afford to be? jjones@uiuc.edu (1992-02-10)
Re: How Smart Can We Afford to be? preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-02-12)
Re: How Smart Can We Afford to be? metzger@bach.convex.com (1992-02-12)
Re: How Smart Can We Afford to be? bill@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com (1992-02-13)
Re: How Smart Can We Afford to be? idacrd!desj@uunet.uu.net (1992-02-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
From: jjones@uiuc.edu
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1992 20:32:04 GMT

Here are some thoughts/questions that have been mulling around in my head
since I took a class last year in "High-performance computer
architecture". Have at them.
1. What is the rate of speed increase in transistor switching speeds?
2. How long does it take, on average, for a new semiconductor technology to
      make it into a commerical product?
3. What is the difference in time to market of a non-pipelined RISC processor
      with a large, simple on board cache/lots of registers and a heavily
      pipelined, brach prediction, etc. processor?
4. How well do logical level designs for one technology transfer to another?
5. Can "smart" design systems aid the movement of a physical design from one
      technology to another?
6. Can sophisticated optimizing compilers be built correctly in a timely
      fashion?
7. What are the tradeoffs in writing a compiler that takes advantage of
      lots of registers, versus a compiler that does a good job of instruction
      scheduling and taking advantage of a pipeline?
--
Joel Jones, jjones@uiuc.edu