Code generation for 'odd' processors

arilds@microsoft.COM
Wed Jan 29 11:29:30 1992

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code generation for 'odd' processors arilds@microsoft.COM (1992-01-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: arilds@microsoft.COM
Date: Wed Jan 29 11:29:30 1992

I think I have seen this question before (didn't see any responses,
though), so please notify me if it is a FAQ (is there a FAQ for this
group?).

Anyway, I am looking for information on codegeneration for processors with
odd instruction sets (like the Intel 80x86 where the operands for certain
instructions need to be in certain registers etc.) The literature I have
read has elegantly skipped such nasty behaviour...

- arild
[This is a favorite topic of mine, and one on which the literature is
indeed sparse. I presume that the odd processors of interest are the
Intel 86 line, since they are irregular, have strange addressing, are
register starved, are well documented, and are of course extremely
popular. -John]