roberto@cernvax.cern.ch (roberto bagnara)
14 Jan 92 08:29:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Summary: NFA to DFA, minimize DFA brnstnd@KRAMDEN.ACF.NYU.EDU (1992-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: roberto@cernvax.cern.ch (roberto bagnara)
Date: 14 Jan 92 08:29:19 GMT

As requested I post a summary of the answers I got:

BEGIN OF SUMMARY

Both egrep and GNUgrep convert the NFA to a DFA lazily (incrementally).
Furthermore, a cache of DFA states is used, so if the memory gets ``too
large'' the cache is simply flushed and translation is restarted.

The idea is that at any given time you'll only be using a small number
of the potentially exponential number of states in the DFA. The inner
loop looks something like:

input_character = getchar();
next_state = curr->transition[input_character];
if (next_state == NEEDED) {
curr = build_and_install (dfa, curr, input_character, nfa);
} else if (next_state == FINAL) {
} else {
curr = next_state;
}

I don't know how the actual translation is done ("shouldn't" be hard),
see the source code, I suppose.

I recommend not converting the NFA to a DFA. Instead, I would use an
algorithm that simulates the NFA directly. There is a reasonably good
algorithm for doing this in The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms
by Aho and Hopcroft (or Ullman, I forget). It probably can be tuned to run
about as fast as an algorithm that simulates a DFA. This way, you can
avoid the conversion step altogether, and you don't have to worry about the
possibility of the exponential explosion of states the NFA.

I think you might find the article 'Grosch J.:"Efficient Generation of
Lexical Analysers", Software - Practice & Experience, vol 19, no. 11
(november 1989)" helpful. He introduces a sophisticated 'tunnel
automation' technique, which makes scanners generated by his Rex four
times smaller and five times faster than those generated by Lex.

        To my knowledge this will be pretty tough, and if I were to guess I
would say it is NP-Complete. What ever algorithm is used, it cannot be
polynomial, or else you would prove that P == NP ( a pretty good result ).
If you find a solution let me know.:)

        Actually, for your specific case, you might be able to do some
optimazation, but the general algorithm will be very hard.

I also implemented a program from the algoritms in the Dragon book. My
program is simple yet another lex clone. It's almost completed (it doesn't
support start states, yet :-) ). I've been doing some profiling and
comparing with lex and flex and my programs seems to be between 10 and 20
times slower than flex (which is almost as fast as lex on my system and
with the samples I've been using). Well, that's a "optimized" version of
my program, ok it's not complete optimum nor particular fast, but I've
been doing some profiling and tuning. (At the beginning it was some 400
times slower! ). About the memory, my program uses about the same amount
of memory as flex.

Concerning theory, I don't know any better algoritm for converting a NFA
to a DFA. I looked at the flex source to see if they used some other
algoritm, but as far as I can tell from a quick look, they use the same
algoritm.

The first part is potentially exponential in complexity: the simple method
of the so called subset construction (probably the one you have read) is a
good choice. For a faster minimization algorithm for LARGE DFA, see
Aho-Hopcroft-Ullman: The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms,
1974(?) under the topic finding the coarsest partition compatible with a
function. This results in an n log n -algorithm instead of an n^2 one.
Also have a look at some EATCS Bulletins from two years back: there was
some discussio on the subject there.

Look at PCCTS; in particular at the source code for DLG. It doesn't do
all the minimization possible, but then I don't think A,S,&U do either.

We had some trouble with PCCTS distribution in the past, but now you can
get everything via an email server. Just email to pccts@ecn.purdue.edu.

Why don't you give Rex a try. Rex is a scanner generator like Lex and Flex
that contains among others the algorithms you are looking for. I am quite
satisfied with the performance. It is especially fast for so-called
constant regular expression (see Reference 4). Rex is part of the GMD
toolbox for compiler construction. You can get Rex via ftp (see below).

TOOLBOX(1) GMD-Forschungsstelle-Karlsruhe TOOLBOX(1)

NAME
          toolbox - tool box for compiler construction

DESCRIPTION
          Toolbox is a set of program generators or compiler
          construction tools for nearly all phases of a compiler. The
          compiler construction tools support the automatic generation
          of compilers for imperative programming languages. The
          design goals for this tool box were practical usability,
          significantly reduced construction effort for compilers, and
          high quality of the generated compilers. Especially with
          respect to efficiency the tools are competitive to
          programming by hand. Currently the tools can generate
          compiler modules in the target languages C and Modula-2.
          First realistic applications demonstrate the excellent
          performance of the tools and show that the tools allow the
          construction of production quality compilers.

TOOLS
          Rex generator for lexical analyzers

IMPLEMENTATION LANGUAGES
          Modula-2 or C

TARGET LANGUAGES
          Modula-2 or C

PLATFORMS
          DEC Station / ULTRIX
          VAX / ULTRIX or BSD UNIX 4.2
          SUN 3 or SUN 4 / SunOS
          PCS Cadmus / MUNIX
          others

FILESERVER
          rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de = 129.69.1.12
          directory: /soft/unixtools/compilerbau

DISTRIBUTION
          Medium: DC 300 A data cartridge, TK 50, or Exabyte in tar format

          source programs in Modula-2 as well as in C
          binaries for SUN 3
          documentation in troff- und Postscript-format
          example specifications

CONTACT
          J. Grosch, H. Emmelmann
          GMD Forschungsstelle an der Universitaet Karlsruhe
          Vincenz-Priesznitz-Str. 1
          D-7500 Karlsruhe
          Germany
          Tel: +721-6622-26/15
          E-Mail: grosch@karlsruhe.gmd.de

PRICE
          Source licence excluding Beg: 500 DM or 250 US $
          Source licence for Beg : 500 DM or 250 US $

          Rex, Lalr, Ell, Ast, and Ag - Compiler Construction Tools

          Rex (Regular EXpression tool) is a scanner generator whose
specifications are based on regular expressions and arbitrary
semantic actions written in one of the target languages C or
Modula-2. As scanners sometimes have to consider the context to
unambiguously recognize a token the right context can be speci-
fied by an additional regular expression and the left context can
be handled by so-called start states. The generated scanners
automatically compute the line and column position of the tokens
and offer an efficient mechanism to normalize identifiers and
keywords to upper or lower case letters. The scanners are table-
driven and run at a speed of 180,000 to 195,000 lines per minute
on a MC 68020 processor.

A comparison of the above tools with the corresponding UNIX tools shows
that significant improvements in terms of error handling as well as
efficiency have been achieved: Rex generated scanners are 4 times faster
than those of LEX. Lalr generated parsers are 2-3 times faster than those
of YACC. Ell generated parsers are 4 times faster than those of YACC.
The input languages of the tools are improvements of the LEX and YACC
inputs. The tools also understand LEX and YACC syntax with the help of
preprocessors. They have been tested by generating scanners and parsers
for e. g. Pascal, Modula, Oberon, Ada and found stable.

The tools have been developed using our own Modula-2 compiler called MOCKA
on a MC 68020 based UNIX workstation. They have been ported to the SUN
workstation and been compiled successfully using the SUN Modula-2
compiler. They also run on VAX/BSD UNIX and VAX/ULTRIX machines. This
should assure a reasonable level of portability.