Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback

dww@inf.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff)
Wed, 8 Jan 1992 15:41:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback burley@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (1992-01-07)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback drw@lagrange.mit.edu (1992-01-07)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback smk@dcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (1992-01-07)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback bill@twwells.com (1992-01-08)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback bliss@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-01-08)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback nigelh@sol.UVic.CA (1992-01-08)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback dww@inf.fu-berlin.de (1992-01-08)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback jwoods@convex.com (1992-01-09)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback jwoods@convex.com (1992-01-10)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback bliss@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-01-13)
Re: Lookahead vs. Scanner Feedback megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (1992-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dww@inf.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1992 15:41:57 GMT

hjelm+@cs.cmu.edu (Mark Hjelm) writes:

>How do I KNOW that there are no situations
>which, due to parser lookahead, would cause the scanner to return an
>incorrect token type for an identifier (i.e. return "identifier", even
>though the identifier was just/will be made into a "typedef name")?

The way to KNOW would be to prove that the scanner and parser conform to
specifications (not easy, since we have neither an exact spec or a
semantics of C :-), and to prove properties of one's microsyntax or
grammar.

Another way to handle the identifier/keyword problem is to introduce a
either insert a "filtering pass" that checks each name against a list of
reserved words and replaces the token with <identifier> or the appropriate
keyword token (I feel the "but-that's-grossly-inefficient" flames already,
but I'd rather be right than fast :-), or else to insert a blub of code at
the point that the name token has been recognized to differentiate between
the two.

--
Debora Weber-Wulff dww@inf.fu-berlin.de
Institut fuer Informatik +49 30 89691 124