Re: VAX/VMS YACC/LEX Products?

rankin@eql.caltech.edu (Pat Rankin)
Wed, 11 Dec 1991 03:11:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
VAX/VMS YACC/LEX Products? mzwick@vitro.com (1991-12-10)
Re: VAX/VMS YACC/LEX Products? rankin@eql.caltech.edu (1991-12-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: rankin@eql.caltech.edu (Pat Rankin)
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1991 03:11:00 GMT

In article 91-12-048, mzwick@vitro.com (Morris J. Zwick SP-MX x2784) writes...
> Are there any commercial or PD VAX/VMS-based YACC/LEX products, especially
> with a nice rule editor? Thanks in advance!!

          Bison and Flex already contain VMS ports in their sources, although
general source changes may not get tracked carefully enough in there to
keep new releases immediately buildable on VMS. The gcc-vms distribution
available from FSF and at various GNU archive sites contains an executable
for bison as well as for gcc and gas; they're intended for building the
current version of gcc from sources, but can be used as is. You'll have
to be prepared to deal with the GNU Public License if you use Bison, but
I think Flex does not have any restrictions on its generated code.

          Digital's old DEC/Shell product for VMS includes yacc and lex, but it
doesn't seem to ever get updated any more. I hope that all those shell
utilities will eventually be added to VMS once POSIX support is provided.
(Initial support for POSIX is anticipated for sometime in '92, but not in
VMS V5.5; that release does include a new thread library though.)

          Wollongong(sp?)'s Eunice product probably includes yacc and lex too,
but I'm just guessing here. I haven't heard any mention of it in years,
but they're on the net at twg.com.

                Pat Rankin, rankin@eql.caltech.edu