Lisp performance

kend@data.rain.com (Ken Dickey)
Fri, 22 Nov 91 14:16:53 PST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Current work in compiler/language design. hackeron@Athena.MIT.EDU (Harris L. Gilliam - MIT Project Athena) (1991-11-10)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (1991-11-20)
Lisp performance kend@data.rain.com (1991-11-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kend@data.rain.com (Ken Dickey)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 14:16:53 PST

objsys@netcom.com (Bob Hathaway) writes:
>It appears most (or a lot) of Lisp is now compiled, and according to one
>respondent, when stripped bare runs twice as slow as standard code.

I have seen various lists of benchmarks of C vs XXX. Sometimes C
wins, sometimes XXX wins. It depends on what you are doing. Here are
a few numbers for Scheme & C (from the Gabrial suite). Note that
these are old benchmarks and compilers are constantly improving--other
benchmark disclaimers apply. These just happened to be published (see
below) and handy.

[Gambit in absolute seconds, others relative]

Motorola m68000
benchmark Gambit Orbit Liar cc
--------- ------ ----- ---- --
tak 0.14 x1.30 x3.15 x1.71
takl 1.18 x1.53 x1.86 x1.80
triangle 67.83 x0.89 x1.96 x0.83

MIPS R2000
benchmark Gambit Orbit Liar cc scc
tak 0.06 x1.17 x2.83 x1.176 x2.00
takl 0.28 x1.14 x2.75 x1.79 x2.36
triangle 15.41 x1.02 x2.60 x0.85 x1.77

[The above were abstracted from:
M. Feeley and J. S. Miller, "A Parallel Virtual Machine for Efficient
Scheme Compilation", Proceedings of the 1990 ACM Conference on Lisp
and Functional Programming, Nice, France, June 1990.]

-Ken Dickey kend@data.rain.com