Current work in compiler/language design.

optima!cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery)
22 Nov 91 05:24:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Current work in compiler/language design. sverker@sics.se (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (1991-11-20)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. nick@dcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (1991-11-21)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. pardo@cs.washington.edu (1991-11-21)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. hasan@emx.utexas.edu (1991-11-21)
Current work in compiler/language design. optima!cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (1991-11-22)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (1991-11-25)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1991-11-26)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. David.Chase@Eng.Sun.COM (1991-11-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: optima!cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery)
Date: 22 Nov 91 05:24:48 GMT

>From article 91-11-094, by hasan@emx.utexas.edu (David A. Hasan):
> OO is conventionally defined too broadly... ("OO") concepts often have an
> existence and legitimacy outside OO... Encapsulation is a perfect example.

I agree with almost everything David said, especially about OO being
defined too broadly. But even in my narrowest definitions of OO,
encapsulation is a key ingredient. OO people should not claim to have
invented encapsulation, but I think encapsulation is a central idea of OO,
and belongs in discussions of OO.

Here (who am I echoing?) are some non-OO, non-parallel areas of research:
type inference, novel control structures and expression semantics for
specific application areas that have proven to be hard such as GUIs,
garbage collection (or are you folks finished speeding it up :-), how to
implement constraint-languages better than Bjorn, how to mix paradigms
(multi-paradigm languages and multi-language environments), the list goes
on but I have to stop.