DSP C Compiler: Survey

"Vijaya Singh (Vij)" <singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu>
Tue, 19 Nov 1991 14:52:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DSP C Compiler Question??? singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu (Vijaya Singh (Vij)) (1991-10-01)
DSP C Compiler: Survey singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu (Vijaya Singh (Vij)) (1991-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Vijaya Singh (Vij)" <singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1991 14:52:42 -0500

Time for a survey...

I enquired a while back about the performance of DSP C compilers.

>From what I've received so far, here's what I've deduced. I'd really
appreciate it if some net.folk confirm/correct this info. I'm sure others
would be interested in the results so if you could e-mail your response to
me, I'll post the results. I'm interested in compilers for the DSP32C,
ADSP-21020, DSP56001, DSP96002, TMS320C25, and TMS320C30 architectures.
Also, please include the compiler version!!

This is based ONLY on data I've received... I don't know if it's correct...

BTW: I'm only considering ANSI C code, no funny hardware dependent stuff:

1 2 3 4 5

"do" (ie: block of instrs) NO YES NO YES YES
"rep" (ie: single instr) NO ? NO YES YES
"mac" ? NO NO YES ?
"fft" mode NO NO NO NO NO
"mod" mode NO NO NO NO NO
addr registers YES YES NO YES YES
dual data memory banks NO NO NO NO YES

1 -> AT&T DSP32C v1.3.4
2 -> Analog Devices ADSP-21020 v???
3 -> Motorola 56001 v???
4 -> Motorola 56001 GCC v???
5 -> Texas Instruments TMS320C30 v4.00

---> PLEA FOR ASSISTANCE <---

I've got 11 tiny DSP kernels, written in C, that I'm using for benchmarks
(filters, FFT, etc.). Would any kind soul care to compile these kernels on
their compiler for me??? I'm interested in comparing the performance of the
compilers that I've indicated about. If this is possible, please let me
know and I'll give you further details. Thanks VERY much!!!

END OF PLEA

VIJ...
singhvk@eecg.toronto.edu