Re: Oberon/Modula portable compiler

ned@isi.itfs.nsk.su (Nedorya A.)
Thu, 17 Oct 91 13:02:35 +0700 (NSD)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Oberon/Modula portable compiler ned@isi.itfs.nsk.su (1991-10-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ned@isi.itfs.nsk.su (Nedorya A.)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 91 13:02:35 +0700 (NSD)

Thanks a lot for all questions and remarks. It seems that answers to some
of these questions would interest not only theirs authors.

>What is the availability of the compiler?
>Is it a commercial product, or is it perhaps freely available with source?

At present only the version for Kronos computers is ready. I don't think
that anybody has such a computer. Anyone is invited to buy it, it can be
used in a museum of antique architectures. The version for 386 might have
some commercial value, but we haven't decided yet about our distribution
policy. Probably we will sell the sources for a low price and executable
codes will be distributed freely. We are going to design some commercial
applications on the base of the compiler and Oberon-2 system.

>What other architectures are you considering?

The choice of architecures to implement on is wholly determined by
computers available to us. So, we can not implement it on SunSparc's,
NeXT and many other architectures. Now we have only Kronos, PC and Besta
(MC68030) workstations. But we are ready to consider any proposition to
port our compiler and Oberon system to other architectures, if they are
made available to us.

Regards, Alex Nedorya

Institute of Informatics Systems, Novosibirsk, Russia
ned@isi.itfs.nsk.su