Re: language design references wanted

salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Salomon)
Fri, 6 Sep 91 18:51:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: language design references wanted murphy@mips.com (1991-08-29)
Re: language design references wanted preston@helena.rice.edu (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (1991-09-03)
Re: language design references wanted ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-09-04)
Re: language design references wanted henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1991-09-05)
Re: language design references wanted salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (1991-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Salomon)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 91 18:51:00 GMT

In article 91-09-010 "Eric A. Anderson" <ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>Can someone send me a listing of books on declarative languages?
>Because I now understand what imperative and functional languages are
>like, but I hadn't heard about declarative ones.

The best-known declarative language is PROLOG. The principle is that you
declare some information, and then ask a question. The interpreter
analyzes the information to give you an answer. A declarative program
does not specify how to solve a problem, it merely supplies enough
information to find an answer. For an overview of declarative languages
see Chapter 8 of Ghezzi & Jazayeri "Programming Language Concepts" 2nd Ed.
Wiley (1982).
--
Dan Salomon -- salomon@ccu.UManitoba.CA
                              Dept. of Computer Science / University of Manitoba