Re: language design references wanted

tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (J Tim Jordan)
26 Aug 91 18:23:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-21)
Re: language design references wanted acha@CS.CMU.EDU (1991-08-22)
Re: language design references wanted tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (1991-08-26)
Re: language design references wanted murphy@mips.com (1991-08-29)
Re: language design references wanted preston@helena.rice.edu (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted wendl@munich.enet.dec.com (1991-08-30)
Re: language design references wanted salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (1991-09-03)
Re: language design references wanted ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-09-04)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (J Tim Jordan)
Date: 26 Aug 91 18:23:23 GMT

In article 91-08-112 grosen@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu (Johannes Grosen) writes:
>I'm a second year grad student (CS) and preparing to tackle (gasp!) my
>thesis. A number of possible topics have been suggested, many of which
>involve implementing new languages or extending/modifying existing ones. My
>question is this: there seems to be a great deal of literature on compiler
>design (i.e., implementing translators for a language) but very little on
>designing the language! Various people, including our moderator, Mr. Levine,
>have called it a 'black art'. Well, I'd like to be a 'sorcerer's
>apprentice'! I would very much appreciate hearing of any references that
>deal with how one goes about designing a language. If there are enough

In this book:

%# LC Card Number: 79021635
%i ISBN: 0-521-22631-7
%h HP MR PY
%A McGettrick, Andrew D., 1944-
%T Definition of programming languages.
%I Cambridge Univ.
%D 1980.
%P 268p.
%d 005.13/M145d
%s Computer program languages

on page 236, Mr. McGettrick explains two basic principles of language design.
He only uses about three pages to do this. But the two principles which he
describes are:

The principle of correspondence
and The principle of abstraction

Basically what he says is "The strong similarity between the semantics of
declarations and parameters suggest that these two aspects of a language
should be designed jointly and be similar" and "it should be possible in a
well-designed programming language, to provide abstractions in the language
for any meaningful class of objects." By abstractions he means being able to
write a C function for an expression and such.