Re: Modula-3 on TOPS-10/20?

muller@Pa.dec.com (Eric Muller)
Tue, 20 Aug 91 17:51:15 PDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Modula-3 on TOPS-10/20? hjones@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (1991-08-17)
Re: Modula-3 on TOPS-10/20? muller@Pa.dec.com (1991-08-20)
Re: Modula-3 on TOPS-10/20? hjones@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (1991-08-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.modula3
From: muller@Pa.dec.com (Eric Muller)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 91 17:51:15 PDT

In article 91-08-077, hjones@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Horace B Jones) writes:
> Has anyone tried getting SRC Modula-3 ported to a TOPS-10 or TOPS-20
> environment? It appears that it would be a pretty formidable task
> involving LINK as well as compiler technology. But I have to ask
> in case anyone is trying this. Thanks.

The real problem today is that we are really assuming a bsd-like
machine. The situation should be improved with 2.0, where we won't
use symbolic links (this will help a lot for System V). Another gray
area is the thead emulation; but since this is really an OS problem,
I suppose that we should provide an alternate implementation which is
simpler to port, but does not offer the full thread functionality (no
preemptive scheduling, may be no threads at all).

I am not too worried about the compiler/linker part. Using C isolates
us a lot from machine characteristics. Of course, we have never tried
36 bits machines and we may have some surprises. By the way, what is
sizeof (int) ? and the number of bits in a char ?

---
Eric.