VHDL Experience

arthurc@doe.carleton.ca (Arthur Castonguay)
Mon, 22 Jul 91 10:17:51 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
VHDL Experience arthurc@doe.carleton.ca (1991-07-22)
Re: VHDL Experience ludemann@quintus.com (Peter Ludemann) (1991-07-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.vhdl
From: arthurc@doe.carleton.ca (Arthur Castonguay)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 91 10:17:51 EDT

I'm embarking on the adventure of writing a VHDL compiler. Its going
to be in a silicon compiler and will accept VHDL source and output
a data flow graph which is then spun, tangled, and mutilated to produce
the final output. I'm currently doing the lexical analysis work. Any
experiences or warnings about this type of work and VHDL in particular
would be greatly appreciated before I learn them myself. I'm using
flex and bison. I've heard that VHDL doesn't lend itself nicely to these
tools. If so, could someone explain why?

Thanks for any input,
Arthur

arthurc@doe.carleton.ca