Re: gcc for the ibm370

pardo@gar.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Tue, 25 Jun 91 17:08:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
gcc for the ibm370 limey@hri.com (1991-06-20)
Re: gcc for the ibm370 pardo@gar.cs.washington.edu (1991-06-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pardo@gar.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 17:08:55 GMT

limey@hri.com (Craig Hughes) writes:
>[gcc on a 370?]

First, you should know about the C-on-370s mailing list. Send e-mail to
David Wolfskill; `david@dhw68k.cts.com'.

Second, there is an unsupported machine description for the 370 for gcc.
As far as I know, the code is completely unsupported. If it doesn't work,
you there's nobody to go to (it's not a piece of Free Software Foundation
code...).

For no particularly good reason I've put a copy of it available via
anonymous ftp from `cs.washington.edu' (128.95.1.4) in
`pub/pardo/gcc370.shar.Z'; be sure to transfer the file in binary mode.
The file will disappear in a couple weeks. The file is originally from
`FUNIC.FUNET.FI' in `pub/gnu/unsupported', also as `gcc370.shar.Z'. Since
that machine is connected to the rest of the world via a slow modem you're
probably better off getting it from `cs.washington.edu' if you can.

Third, according to my contact ``you are probably better off if you can
wait for NEW gcc 2.0 based version.'' I'm not sure if that's to say
``you're better off if you can wait'' or ``the 2.0 version will be
better'' :-) I'm hesitant to post the address of the person working on the
2.0 md, but if anybody wants to be a beta send me e-mail and I'll forward
it. Beware though that it may be a while before 2.0 is even up for beta.

;-D on ( The creature from the back da' room ) Pardo