INFs and NaNs

richarda@cec825.atl.hp.com
Mon, 17 Jun 91 15:03:50 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations bill@hcx2.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM (1991-06-14)
INFs and NaNs richarda@cec825.atl.hp.com (1991-06-17)
Re: INFs and NaNs presberg@compass.com (1991-06-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: richarda@cec825.atl.hp.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 15:03:50 EDT

In article 91-06-016, bill@hcx2.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>As far as I know, there is only _one_ kind of mathematics. The FORTRAN
>standard is referring to real mathematics, not any particular means of
>approximating mathematics.

Dealing with error values (such as INF, divzero, etc.) does not necessarily
preclude one from "mathematicality." I seem to recall that the folks working
on dataflow architectures rigorously defined the math for propogating error
values so that traps, etc., would not be necessary. I don't recall the author
but I believe the title of the paper was Error Values in Val.