Re: Exchange instructions

chip@soi.com (Chip Morris)
Mon, 25 Mar 91 09:15:03 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Exchange instructions chip@soi.com (1991-03-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: chip@soi.com (Chip Morris)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 09:15:03 EST

David Keppel and Preston Briggs say that `exchange' is to CISCy.
I disagree. Our compiler can make use of exchange instructions during
register alignment. Very handy -- no temporary storage needed. And
we prefer RISCs. Of course, if adding EXCH costs chip real estate or cycle
time, then forget it.

The theoretical basis for using exchanges is in M. Karr's article
"Code Generation by Coagulation" in the 1984 SIGPLAN conference.

--
Chip Morris, Senior Engineer
Software Options, Inc., 22 Hilliard St., Cambridge MA 02138 (617) 497-5054