Re: MATRIX BASIC -- HOW BIG IS THE MARKET?

brazil.psych.purdue.edu!zhou@gatech.edu (Albert Zhou)
6 Jan 91 03:33:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MATRIX BASIC -- HOW BIG IS THE MARKET? zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (1991-01-04)
Re: MATRIX BASIC -- HOW BIG IS THE MARKET? corbett@road.Eng.Sun.COM (1991-01-05)
Re: MATRIX BASIC -- HOW BIG IS THE MARKET? brazil.psych.purdue.edu!zhou@gatech.edu (1991-01-06)
Re: MATRIX BASIC -- HOW BIG IS THE MARKET? khb@Eng.Sun.COM (1991-01-07)
Re: MATRIX BASIC -- HOW BIG IS THE MARKET? bliss@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (1991-01-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: brazil.psych.purdue.edu!zhou@gatech.edu (Albert Zhou)
Date: 6 Jan 91 03:33:40 GMT

In article <5326@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> corbett@road.Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Corbett) writes:
>ANSI BASIC, X3.113-1987, provides matrix operations including addition,
>subtraction, multiplication, inverse, determinant, and scalar product. I
>presume that BASIC implementations that claim conformance with the standard,
>such as True BASIC, implement those features (they are not optional).

So how is this BASIC doing these days? Does it have a lot of market and is
it sold separately by vendors?

>If your package only includes simple matrix operations, I doubt you will find
>much of a market. If your package includes support for complex matrices and
>analytic functions over them (not at all easy to implement), your sales might
>increase by dozens.

MATRIX BASIC of course will be more powerful than that. It will introduce
a few new operators, such as ~ (horizontal concatenation), | (vertical
concatenation), ` (transpose), \ (elementwise division), # (elementwise
multiplication, ...

Also, the original package has been designed for statistic processing. So
MATRIX BASIC could have many built-in functions such as sum(x), ss(x) (sum of
square), mean(x), var(x) (variance), ...

Unfortunately we haven't implemented complex matrix since there hasn't been
such need.
[True Basic is a commercial package whose authors include the original authors
of Dartmouth Basic. I don't know how it's doing, but observe that I don't
see anything about it in the trade press. -John]