Re: GCC vs. Turbo C performance

moss@cs.umass.edu
1 Dec 90 18:15:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC vs. Turbo C performance stt@inmet.inmet.com (1990-11-28)
Re: GCC vs. Turbo C performance moss@cs.umass.edu (1990-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.umass.edu
Date: 1 Dec 90 18:15:28 GMT

>>>>> On 28 Nov 90 19:55:00 GMT, stt@inmet.inmet.com said:
Taft> Re: time spent in GCC's "parse" phase.

Taft> ... Turbo C and Think C probably get their speed by doing most of the
Taft> front-end processing while the user is typing in the program.

I don't think so. The compiler runs separately from the editor and really does
read all the source file(s) from disk. I think they get most of their speed
by hand coding a lot of crucial routines in assembly, and by focusing on speed
in designing their compilers. My guess is that they feel it is a market very
sensitive to this issue, and hence worth the effort. (It's also worth the
effort because of the profit and volume.)
--
J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
Lederle Graduate Research Center