Managing Symbol Tables on Floppy Disk

ramsey@NCoast.ORG (Cedric Ramsey)
Tue, 18 Sep 90 14:09:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Managing Symbol Tables on Floppy Disk ramsey@NCoast.ORG (1990-09-18)
Re: Managing Symbol Tables on Floppy Disk pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1990-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ramsey@NCoast.ORG (Cedric Ramsey)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 14:09:40 GMT

I apologize if this question may sound dull or unintelligent to you guys.
But are there any papers in existance that explain how to maintain a
symbol table on a floppy disk; stuff like data structures, hashing ?,
lookup, insertion etc. Any information or pointers to information will
be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,

Cedric A. Ramsey

E-mail: ramsey@ncoast.ORG
[Content addressed structures in external storage are usually called data
bases. There are lots of disk-based structures for lookup by name; see
Knuth volume 3 for a somewhat dated but still useful introduction. Also,
I'd be interested to hear what kind of environment is forcing your symbol
table onto a disk. Wouldn't it be easier to spend $70 and get another
megabyte of RAM? -John]