Re: Is there a compiler for TMS320C25 somewhere?

Mike Horne <mhorne@ka7axd.wv.tek.com>
5 Sep 90 22:27:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is there a compiler for TMS320C25 somewhere? tommyp@isy.liu.se (1990-09-04)
Re: Is there a compiler for TMS320C25 somewhere? leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (1990-09-05)
Re: Is there a compiler for TMS320C25 somewhere? mhorne@ka7axd.wv.tek.com (Mike Horne) (1990-09-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.dsp
From: Mike Horne <mhorne@ka7axd.wv.tek.com>
Date: 5 Sep 90 22:27:07 GMT

In a recent article by tommyp@isy.liu.se (Tommy Pedersen):

> [People I know in the DSP biz tell me that although there are many C
> compilers for DSP chips, nobody uses them because they're all too slow.
> -John]

I'm assuming you mean poor code generation (i.e. slow code)...

Generally speaking, few people use compilers to generate code for DSP chips
for *time critical* code sections. Note that this includes just about all
signal processing algorithms. However, you can use a high-level language
(such as C) to build the *structure* of the program and use in-line assembly
for time critical sections. I've found that this greatly enhances the
readability of the code and significantly reduces the maintenance requirements.
This `hybrid' approach is especially nice for variable passing and stack
management.

Mike
DSP Video I/O Architecture
Tektronix, Inc., Wilsonville, OR