Re: A Low-Rent Syntax Problem

adamsf@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Frank Adams)
30 Aug 90 23:04:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A Low-Rent Syntax Problem mcdaniel@adi.com (1990-08-28)
Re: A Low-Rent Syntax Problem adamsf@turing.cs.rpi.edu (1990-08-30)
Re: A Low-Rent Syntax Problem ok@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (1990-08-31)
Re: A Low-Rent Syntax Problem brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (1990-09-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: adamsf@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Frank Adams)
Date: 30 Aug 90 23:04:23 GMT

In article <MCDANIEL.90Aug28144647@dolphin.adi.com> mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel) writes:
>Another problem I've had with low-rent syntax is how to tell the
>lexer/parser to continue a source line.

>- "\" followed by newline is removed, as in C. However what does this
> mean?
> a = 1 2 3 \// comment
> ? Or what about
> a = 1 2 3 // comment\

I have thought about this problem. My conclusion is that the continuation
character should go on the *next* line (like FORTRAN!). You can choose
between putting the continuation character as the first character of the
line, or the as the first non-blank character.

And, yes,

a = 1 2 3 // comment
\ 4 5 6

would continue the statement, not the comment.