Bounds checking

pmk@craycos.com (Peter Klausler)
Fri, 15 Jun 90 17:26:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bounds checking pmk@craycos.com (1990-06-15)
Re: Bounds checking max@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Max Hailperin) (1990-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pmk@craycos.com (Peter Klausler)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 90 17:26:23 GMT

Jan Prins:
> Upcoming superscalar architectures offer an opportunity to perform bounds
> checking concurrently with other operations.

Yes. They also offer an opportunity to perform useful work concurrently with
other operations. Which would a real customer, charged by the cycle, prefer?

> It would make a nice change if the next generation of whizbang machines were
> not only faster, but "safer" too!

I agree; but bounds checking is computation, and is not going to come for free.

- Peter Klausler, writing compilers at Cray Computer Corp. in Colorado Springs
[It seems to me that if you prefer correct to incorrect results, bounds
checking would be characterized as useful work, although there has never been
much sympathy for that viewpoint in the supercomputer business. -John]