Re: front ends vs. code generation and optimization

Stephen Adams <sra@ecs.southampton.ac.uk>
Thu, 14 Jun 90 03:25:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
front ends vs. code generation and optimization poser@csli.stanford.edu (1990-06-06)
Re: front ends vs. code generation and optimization mauney@cscraz.ncsu.edu (1990-06-12)
Re: front ends vs. code generation and optimization sra@ecs.southampton.ac.uk (Stephen Adams) (1990-06-14)
Re: front ends vs. code generation and optimization hankd@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (1990-06-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Stephen Adams <sra@ecs.southampton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 03:25:47 GMT

  > I agree that there is a danger in compiler-construction courses of
  > over-emphasizing the easy part, namely front-end generation, and
  > short-changing the back-end issues.
  > ... there are a whole lot of people who haven't gotten the message.
  > So perhaps it is desirable that compiler courses should emphasize
  > front-ends and the automatic tools available, in order to improve the
  > balance.

In addition to the above it should be noted that front-end
issues are emphasized in compiler construction courses
(especially in first courses in the subject) because it is
more useful to know about them.

Tool-based front-end techniques can benefit the development
of almost any software with a command or configuration
language.

The same cannot be said about the complex techniques that
lurk in the back-end to improve (never optimize) the
performance of the generated code by a few tens of percent.

I know of a large engineering database system that uses
yacc-like tools to convert data between different formats
required by different applications, and I have seen lex used
to convert word processor files to a markup language.
Back-end technology seems quite irrelevant to this kind of
endeavor.

Stephen Adams S.Adams@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science S.Adams@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)
Southampton S09 5NH, UK S.Adams@sot-ecs.uucp (uucp)