Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:14:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler jensting@diku.dk (1990-06-01)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler scott@cs.rochester.edu (1990-06-05)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (1990-06-06)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler moss@cs.umass.edu (1990-06-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:14:43 GMT

A couple of notes regarding Dirk's mention of a "Modula-3 to C translator":

1) It is *not* a simple translator, but a true compiler whose target language
happens to be C rather than assembly. (Dirk may have known that; the word
translator is a little ambiguous, though, so I thought I would offer
clarification).

2) The Modula-3 compiler is, I believe, descended from a Modula-2+ compiler at
DEC SRC (with earlier work also done at DEC WRL, I believe). Greg Nelson
(gnelson@src.dec.com) can tell you more about its relationship to other
compilers developed in DEC's research labs.

The Modula-3 compiler is alive and well and almost up to version 1.5. I
suspect it is not highly optimizing, but relies on the C compiler for a lot of
the optimizations. My research group at UMass is working on Gnu Modula-3 using
the Gnu C back end, so it will be a native optimizing compiler (first target
is VAX, but gm3 should be about as easily ported as gcc). Cheers!

--

J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
Lederle Graduate Research Center