Re: '.stabs' info requested

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Thu, 7 Jun 90 04:08:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
'.stabs' info requested bimandre@BLEKUL60.BITNET (Andre Marien) (1990-06-05)
Re: '.stabs' info requested bothner@cs.wisc.edu (1990-06-06)
Re: '.stabs' info requested title@Think.COM (1990-06-06)
Re: '.stabs' info requested pardo@cs.washington.edu (1990-06-07)
Re: '.stabs' info requested dupuy@hudson.cs.columbia.edu (1990-06-07)
Re: '.stabs' info requested meissner@osf.org (1990-06-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 04:08:10 GMT

title@Think.COM (Richard Title) writes:
>[dbx .stabs documentation: `stabstring.c']

One piece of information that you won't find in the dbx documentation:
some perfectly legal .stabs entries cause popular (e.g., BSD VAX)
assemblers to barf with a message like ``illegal .stabs value''.

The problem is severe enough that at least for a while, GNU C++ had a
compiler compile-time flag ``FASCIST_ASSEMBLER''. The first time that I
built a version of GNU C++ that had this flag, I missed the fact that I
needed to set the flag, and assembly failed as a result. I took the
problem to one of the authors of BSD `as', and he agreed that it was a
bug in `as'.

One moral of the story is ``do it the right way, have a flag for broken
tools.''

;-D on ( Undebugger ) Pardo
--
pardo@cs.washington.edu
        {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo